BOSS Video Competition 2015
“I really want to study at BOSS because…”
Welcome to the first BOSS Video Competition, a competition in which you have the chance of winning 2 free weeks at BOSS this coming summer!
Before entering, please ask your parent or guardian for permission. Your parent or guardian must email Neil at email@example.com in order to grant permission. Without this permission the entry will not be valid.
Who can Enter?
- The minimum age for the competition is 8 years old and the maximum age is 17. Parents and guardians may enter the competition on behalf of their children providing that their child is the star of the video. Entrants must not turn 18 years old before the 15th August 2015.
- You may only submit one video.
- Be as creative as you can.
How to Enter
- First please ask for your parent or guardian’s permission before entering.
- Make a video with the title “I really want to study at BOSS because…”. Include your name and your country in the title, for example, “I really want to study at BOSS because…” by Neil from England.
- The minimum video length should be 30 seconds and the maximum length 3 minutes.
- All videos must include the words, “Buckswood Overseas Summer School” and “BOSS”.
- Videos must be in English and be as creative as possible. If your video makes it to the final, entries will be judged on creativity.
- When your video is ready, upload your video to YouTube.
- When you have uploaded your video to YouTube, email the link as well as your parent or guardian’s name and email address to firstname.lastname@example.org. When we have received the link we will then post your video to the BOSS Facebook page.
- The three videos that receive the most likes on Facebook will enter the final.
- In the final, the videos will be judged by Neil (Summer School Director), Ancor (Head of Activities and Excursions) and Becky (Director of Studies) who will chose a winner based on the above criteria and creativity.
- The overall winner will win two free weeks at BOSS this summer.
Terms and Conditions
- Entries received without parent or guardian permission will not be entered into the competition. Your parent or guardian must email Neil at email@example.com in order to
- The competition ends at midday (British time) on Monday 9th February 2015.
- The top 3 “liked” videos on the BOSS Facebook page will be announced on Tuesday 10th February 2015.
- Judging of the top 3 “liked” videos will take place following the announcement of the 3 finalists.
- The winner will be announced on Friday 13th February 2015.
- Only entries uploaded to YouTube with the title “I really want to study at BOSS because…” will be valid for competition selection.
- Videos must be a minimum of 30 seconds and a maximum of 3 minutes in length.
- All videos must include the words, “Buckswood Overseas Summer School” and “BOSS”.
- Videos must be in English and be as creative as possible.
- Any video that contains insult or offence will not be entered into the competition.
- By entering the competition, you give BOSS the permission to make a copy of your video and use it for marketing purposes.
- The winner’s parent or guardian will be contacted once a winner has been decided. When a response has been received from the parent or guardian, the winner will be announced.
- The winner’s name will feature on BOSS web pages and in BOSS publicity such as newsletters.
- For the prize to be valid we must receive a completed booking form for the winner by Friday 29th May 2015.
- The two free weeks at BOSS is not transferable to another date or individual
- Entrants must be at least 8 years old (with parent’s help) and a maximum of 17 years old before the 15th August 2015. Proof of age will be required before the prize is redeemed.
- There is no cash alternative to the prize.
- No responsibility can be accepted for entries which are not received due to communication systems beyond our control.
- The winning prize is two free weeks at BOSS. This covers the cost of a two week summer school programme.
- The prize may be redeemed between the 28th June and the 15th August 2015 and the winner must arrive and depart on set arrival and departure days.
- The prize does not include flights or airport transfers.
Easter and Summer Positions Available
Residential Summer School EFL Teacher/Activity Leader
Details of Position
Set in beautiful countryside, Buckswood Overseas Summer School, a British Council accredited Summer School, will be running a residential Easter and Summer Course at our campus in Guestling near Hastings.
We are currently recruiting TEFL Teachers/Activity Leaders for our Easter Course (20th March to 11th April) and Summer School (25th June to 15th August).
All students are residential and will join our courses that include:
– 20 hours of English per week
– Trinity College Spoken English Exam (98% pass rate in 2015)
– Two full day and two half day excursions per week
– Museum and attraction entrance fees
– Full Afternoon and Evening Activity Programme
– All course materials
– Full board accommodation
– Student travel insurance
– Laundry service
– BOSS wristband, water bottle, folder, cap and t-shirt
Your duties will comprise of two components: classroom teaching and the supervision of the Activity and Excursion Programme. Both components totaling 48 hours per week.
Approximately 20 hours and 15 minutes of your contracted time will be teaching. Teaching will generally take place between 09:30 and 15:00 over 5 days. Four hours will be dedicated to lesson planning and 1 hour and 15 minutes to meetings.
Activity and Excursion Components
Twenty-two and a half hours will be dedicated to our Activity and Excursion Programme consisting of one full day excursion per week and onsite activities/half day trips.
You will also be allocated specific duties, normally by the Summer School Director, to be carried out at specific times. These will be your sole responsibility and you will be expected to carry them out actively and responsibly.
Typically these duties will involve:
– Orienting and helping new students as instructed
– Facilitating assembly at points and prearranged times
– Actively supervising defined areas at specified times as required
– Supervising students on excursions and ensuring their safe transport
– Supervising and taking part in activities for example, sports, discos, talent nights, etc.
– Airport duties as specified
– Patrolling school or site boundaries and ensuring that students to not leave the premises without supervision and permission
– Upholding the reputation of Buckswood Overseas Summer School
It is considered impossible to define every duty, and the Teacher/Activity Leader is required to do whatever is necessary to ensure the safety and happiness of the students and the smooth running of the course.
In a general sense, you will remain on duty during your entire time on the premises. This means that you will be expected to use maturity and judgement to respond appropriately not only to emergencies, but also to any situation where you are the nearest person to hand, or the first to become aware of any situation which requires supervisory action.
At induction, Teachers/Activity Leaders can indicate whether they wish to be included in the list of staff who would like to be offered additional work to maximise earnings. This will enable the Summer School Director to take this into account as early as possible in the planning of weekly timetables.
Buckswood Overseas Summer School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and applicants must be willing to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the post, including checks with past employers and the Vetting & Barring Agency previously the Criminal Records Bureau.
Please note that Buckswood Overseas Summer School is not a sponsor for visa applicants under the new UKBA points based system, and as such, all applicants should hold existing acceptable visa documentation, be an EU citizen, or be a member of the EEA with free right to work in the UK.
If applying for a teaching post you should be: CELTA, Trinity TESOL or B.Ed. (modern languages) qualified teachers. Other qualifications meeting British Council recognised Summer School standards will also be considered. Weekend TEFL courses and online courses with no observed teaching practice do not meet British Council standards.
Experience of teaching juniors on a residential course would be beneficial but enthusiasm, motivation and being part of a team are just as important.
We welcome newly qualified teachers looking for a first teaching position who can demonstrate that they can be a valuable member of the team. We also welcome teachers who are only available for shorter work periods.
Salary and Benefits
Teacher/Activity Leader Benefits
– £375 per week
– First Aid Course
– Weekly professional development sessions
For an in depth job description and application form, please contact Neil at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Welcome to our new site!
Hello all and welcome to the new BOSS website! What do you think about it?
This summer was the best yet for BOSS and I would like to thank everyone who came for making it such a special time. Each and every one of you contributed towards making it amazing with your enthusiasm, excellent behaviour, involvement, manners, sense of humour, personality, open mindedness, individuality and thoughtfulness. All things that we hope students who come to BOSS possess, and you did. You have all set the standard at the highest its ever been and if every summer can be as great as this one then we have many years of amazing summers to look forward to!
As soon as BOSS finished on the 16th August this year, we immediately began planning for next year. People often ask me, “what do you do all year?” and the answer is what don’t we do all year! There is so much to do and so much to think about. How did you find out about BOSS? The most important part of our job is to make sure that you and other people know about BOSS and this involves me attending hundreds of meetings, giving many presentations, meeting many parents and also meeting many of you before you arrive.
Some of you may remember me visiting your school! In order to do this I travel to many countries around the world to tell everyone about BOSS.
As well as this we must also take bookings and process them, hundreds of them as well as helping some of you obtain visas so that you can come to the UK. We must then find new staff, interview and recruit them – this takes a very long time and is very, very important
As we want to get the very best staff to help you to have the best time ever. Then we must prepare all of the activity and excursion programs and make all of the necessary reservations as well as planning the academic programme and prepare for any inspections that we may have during the summer. We can’t forget about the Easter Course, my favourite time of the year along with the Summer School. This is run exactly the same as the Summer School; the only difference is it runs for just 3 weeks, we have less students and it is cheaper. In 2015 the Easter Course will run from the 22nd March to the 11th April. If you have any questions, let me know.
These are just some of the things that we have to do in order to prepare for your arrival.
There are many, many more things to think about so as you now know, even if it is not summer there are still a lot of things to do so I must go and continue with my work!
It was nice to speak to you. Keep in touch!
Have a good day,