This was one of the most fun yet intense activities that we have done so far in the 6 weeks of BOSS Online! It was amazing!
A very simple concept, we provided the questions (below) and they were not so easy. In fact 95% of them were so difficult that the students had to search the internet to find the answers, but that was the point and that is was it was so intense. They had to listen and they had to type. Some of them even practised their typing before we began in an attempt to give them an advantage! A great activity that really encouraged our students to practise their listening and writing skills!
SPOILER ALERT! The questions and answers that we used in the internet scavenger hunt are below the video so if you would like to check them out, be aware that the answers are in the video!
Internet Scavenger Hunt - Questions and Answers
1. What was the number 1 single in the UK on 15th February 1983?
Too Shy by Kajagoogoo
2. How many dimples are there on a Titleist Pro V1 golf ball?
3. What three colours are used to create the colour white on a TV or computer screen?
Red, green and blue
4. To the nearest million, how big is Asia in square miles?
17.2 million square miles, approximately. In other terms, it is about 44.5 million square kilometre
5. Who was the 30th president of the United States?
6. What is the capital city of Croatia?
7. Who invented the modern ballpoint pen?
8. What three colours are on the Rwandan flag that was adopted in 2001?
Green, yellow and blue
9. What was the currency in Germany before the Euro?
10. To one decimal point, how many millimetres are there in 57 inches?
11. What is the longest river in Australia?
12. What year was the original Wizard of Oz movie released?
13. Who was the second man to walk on the moon?
14. Which country won the first soccer World Cup?
15. What was unusual about the Penny-Farthing bicycle?
It had a large front wheel and a small back wheel
16. What is taramasalata?
A pinkish paste or dip made from the roe of certain fish, mixed with olive oil and seasoning.
17. How many minutes are in 249 days?
18. Which country held the 1960 Summer Olympics?
19. What is the second highest mountain in the world?
20. What is special about a mountain gorilla's nose?
Wrinkles around gorillas' noses - called nose prints - are unique for each individual and often are used by human researchers for identification.
21. On what road is Buckswood Overseas Summer School?
22. How do you spell supercalifragilisticexpialidocious?
23. What is the 38th word in the Beatles song Let It Be?
24. When is Freddie Mercury’s birthday?
5th September 1946
25. How many cm is the River Nile?
Takeaways from today's session
- Tomorrow, students will present their heroes in our “My Hero” presentations. There are so many inspiring and amazing people in the world, not only right now but since time began and we want to know who your hero is. We want to know:
Information about this person, who are they, their history, etc.
Why they are your hero.
What is so inspiring about your hero.
What you have learnt from your hero.
How your hero inspires your every day.
How has your hero affected your own life?
- On Thursday, we will play a simple, fun game that everyone can play called “Who Am I?” One student leaves the classroom while the other students decide which famous person they are. When the person who left returns, they must ask each of their classmates questions to find out who they are!
- Finally, on Friday, we will have an activity as there isn’t a public holiday here in the UK. That is next Friday! Sorry about the confusion!
On Friday we will have an art based session during which students will present a piece of art that they have creating using a famous piece of art as inspiration. The other students must guess what the piece of art is and who it is by before the presenting artist does a small presentation about the piece of art and the artist to help us to learn more.
BOSS Online English Lessons
We are also now offering online English lessons. Should you be interested but for these, the following costs will apply:
One-to-one lessons at £25 per hour
Group lessons at £15 per hour (maximum class size 6)
Exam preparation classes at £25 per hour (maximum class size 4)
If you book a block of 10 one-to-one classes, you will receive one class free saving 10%.
If you book a block of 10 group lessons, you will receive two free classes saving 20%.
To find out more about our online English lessons, please click here.
BOSS Online Activities
Please remember that all online activities are completely free and that you should register here. We are now offering these online activities for the foreseeable future with next week's activities below:
For now, stay safe and have a lovely evening! We hope that we will see you all tomorrow at 13:00 (GMT)!